Thursday, March 31, 2011

Selling Myself

So, I listed items on Etsy, now what?  Once upon a time I had listed these very same items on Ebay, clearly they never sold.  Then I get frustrated...  There are SO many people selling similar items.  My pricing is right in the middle, so that's where my products stay.  It's not FAIR that other people are setting up their items the way they do, it's like CHEATING!!!  Some people post an item for $1, but it's really only to chose the fabric for an item you pay more for.  Or, they tag their item for a section that has nothing to do with what I am trying to sell, but there it is, on the same selling page as my items. 
But really I think I have been cheating myself.
I listed items on Etsy the same week as a friend of mine.  We sell completely different items.  I updated my blog, I created a business page on facebook, I thought I was doing the right thing to promote my stuff.  Within a few days I had a couple dozen people view my items.  Within a few days, my friend had sold an item, internationally.  I am very happy for her, ecstatic even!  We're not best-buds from forever ago, but I think I've been pretty supportive, I hope so, she does some adorable stuff, and I truly wish her all the best.  I even try to promote her stuff when I can, but especially when I see another friend that I think might like what she does.  And that is where I realized I was missing something.  I have a feeling that she actually did her homework about this online selling game...  I had not even started.
So, what do I do?  I checked out the Etsy site and found a whole section on how to sell on Etsy.  It's amazing how much information there is!  How to set up your shop, how to advertise, how to connect with people, and so much more about finances and keeping up momentum!  I have now started my homework.
I understand it's about selling myself, little pieces of me, but now it's more about getting myself connected.
We live in this amazing new world that has grown and shrunk at the same time with one little invention called "the Internet."  In a second you are transported to another place, another space, and you have to find your connection, it's not difficult, but you just have to do it.
So that is where I am.  I am doing my homework, learning how to sell myself and learning to connect to people that I may never meet in person.

If you would like to see the items my friend sells on Etsy, please visit http://www.etsy.com/shop/JuBeMeDesigns

And don't forget to help me connect!!!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/stuffnjunkbyheidi
facebook

2 comments:

  1. You could also try listing your stuff on Craigslist. I've done well selling stuff on there and people would come to pick it up or I'd go meet them somewhere at a public place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I hadn't really thought of that... My dad would let me sell them out of his shop, I'm sure. We have a lot of space here. Don't get a lot of foot-traffic, but that's ok! Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete