Monday, March 21, 2011

Today I am missing my best friend...

Eleven years ago today, I lost my best friend.  If he were here today he would tell you that he must not have been my "best" friend, or I wouldn't have lost him!  He may not have been the perfect husband, he may not have been the perfect dad, but he was perfect in my eyes, and will be all my life.
He was my favorite person.  Not because he would take us to McDonald's, or Baskin Robbins, or because he always had a brand-new five dollar bill waiting for us in his wallet.  He could make you feel like you were the most important person in the world just by looking at you.  He never took my crap.  He told me dirty jokes, and he cursed when he worked on his boat or car.  He was a recovering alcoholic, he was Catholic, and he loved to sing, although his sister later revealed that he may not have been very good at the singing.
And I just miss him.
I knew the day I said goodbye in the hospital that I would never see him again.  I just knew.  Even though the doctors said he was doing better the day before.  I just knew him.  I will never not miss him.
I believe that when someone passes away, a little piece of them can still live on as long as there is someone that loves them to continue their memory.  If you are reading this, I am passing a piece of him on to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment