Thursday, April 7, 2011

Hoarder

This is what my husband called me one day during a garage sale.  Sure, the garage sale was for my mother, but I only wanted to take home a few things!!!
In all honesty, I can justify keeping the daybed, the amoire and the bookshelf.  These items are still in great condition, and they are furniture!  You can't go wrong with thatBut, what about the baking goods my mom "inherited" when my Nana passed away?  How about the box full of Pampered Chef paperwork that has long since expired, not to mention the fact that I no longer sell Pampered Chef?  Ended up throwing out all of the baking goods.  Believe-it-or-not, vegetable oil has an expiration date!  So does vanilla...  The Pampered Chef stuff, well...  Thankfully my darling brother just signed up to be a consultant.  I will gratefully pass this along to him and he can throw as much of it away as he wants!  The question really is "Why did I feel I needed it to begin with?"
Onto looking at the things I still have.  Over the years I have acquired quite the collection of folders and binders and bags and boxes of papers.  Notes that may never make any sense, but I just can't seem to part from.  Scraps of fabrics, interfacing, ribbons, bindings, batting.  Some of these might be useful pieces that I may need later, but the 1"x1" square of some randomness?  What am I afraid of?  I don't live in a world where I can't get rid of anything.  I have no problem throwing away actual trash, wrappers, dirty diapers.  I am finally OK with throwing away an expired baking good.  Spices that have gone bad, really aren't worth using, even if they still smell OK.
But the papers?  The fabrics?  What's the real deal here?  I guess it's not too hard for dear, sweet hubby to understand...  After all, he has a plastic bin of old T-shirts that are ripped or stained.  He tells me that they are his "outdoor work" shirts.  When they started to overflow the bin, I made him get rid of some.  Of course, I kept them thinking I would cut them up and make a quilt for him.  Who I am kidding?  I don't quilt!
On my computer, I have duplicates of most of my picture files.  Not for any other reason than because I save them in multiple places.  I have computer games that I won't delete on the off-chance that someday I might want to play them.  I didn't pay for them, I haven't played them in years.  Plus, the few I did pay for, I have disks for.  These games are even taking up so much memory on my laptop that the computer runs slower!  At least that's what I've been told.
So, am I a "hoarder?"  Possibly?  Borderline?  What makes us think we won't be able to live without these things that we live without for so long already?  It's really time for some housecleaning, both physically and mentally.  What a crazy monkey to have on your back!

No comments:

Post a Comment