Monday, November 21, 2011

11/21/11 Progress Report

It's past my bedtime so I'm keeping it brief!  I have been working little-by-little on my projects!  Yesterday I spent a couple hours cutting out the "dress" part of my little girls Christmas dress.  I figured if I just got the main part of the dress cut out that would be a good goal for the day, I just don't have as much energy to get it all done in one shot.  Today I spent a little over an hour cutting out the contrast pieces and looking for the pattern pieces for the coat.  I will try to remember to post pics of the sorry mess I found those pattern pieces in!  It's been YEARS since we first used that pattern and it shows!  At first I could only find eight out of thirteen pieces...  Not to mention the fact that I have the pattern in two sizes, I kept "throwing back" the pieces that were larger sizes.  You see, I am a bit of a lazy sewer...  As I mentioned in my last post, I have that BAD habit of throwing many used/cut out pattern pieces into a large plastic bag with the intention to organize it all later.  I considered doing that tonight but decided to stay on task.  For once...
I also remembered I have a bag of scrap pieces from the first time we attempted the project, I would just have to find them in the garage...  Only took me five minutes in the garage (thanks to hubby's fabulous organizational skills!) and I am happy to report I have all the pieces I need to begin cutting out the jacket!
I still have to cut the lining pieces and petticoat netting for the dress, that will probably be tomorrows chore.  The rest of the week I will set time aside to cut out all the jacket pieces.  Sadly (you'll see when I post pictures) the main jacket pieces have seen better days, I will be putting in a good amount of work to make them "use-able" again, not to mention the fact that I am working with a plaid...  For all the non-sewers out there- a quick lesson from my High School sewing teacher...  When working with plaids, you have to cut each piece individually in order to line up the plaid design.  This takes twice as long to do as just laying out the pattern on the fabric like "normal".  Instead of cutting two pieces at once, or laying a center piece on a fold, I have to match lines in the design, so each piece is placed, pinned and cut individually.  Yes, I know that I am not doing this for a grade, but once you learn it the one way (and with my crazy OCD) you can never again go back to "cutting corners."  Next time you are in the store looking at something plaid, check out whether or not the design matches up.  If those lines aren't perfect, you might be paying too much!!!  LOL...

No comments:

Post a Comment