Friday, April 20, 2012

Food For Thought Friday, A 2-fer!!!

So, I was torn this week...  Quick Apple Crisp (my favorite pot-luck desert) or Tabasco Meatloaf?
Why not both???
I really hated meatloaf growing up.  I don't know why but I used to think of it as "leftover" food.  Probably because we would have it when there was nothing else to eat!  I'm not going to give you the full recipe because to be honest, I am really bad at following certain recipes!  Basically, you can take a general recipe for meatloaf:
ground beef (1.5-2 pounds)
eggs, 2
bread, (I use 2-3 large slices of wheat)
milk (about 3/4 c)
I just throw it all in a bowl and add some tabasco (I prefer the chipotle kind) and the other night I added some steak seasoning.
Just so you know, I do NOT eat spicy food.  I don't even like medium salsa!  And when I add the tabasco, I'm throwing in a couple tablespoons!  It isn't even spicy-hot!  It just gives it a bit more flavor.
Of course everyone has a little different taste...  What I recommend, if you have the stuff to do it, is to make up your batch and seperate it.  If you have mini-loaf pans (I use the Pampered Chef mini-loaf stoneware) you can mix in different amounts of spices and cook them seperately!  Since my hubby loves all things spicy I can never add too much for him!
Now for the yummy desert part!!!  I was once a Pampered Chef consultant (hence all the stoneware references) and one of my favorite recipes to make at shows was the Quick Apple Crisp.  It is easy to make and doesn't cost a lot to make a bunch!
Ingredients:
5 Granny Smith apples
1 package (9 ounces) yellow cake mix
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
   1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup chopped nuts
Vanilla ice cream or thawed, frozen whipped topping (optional)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Peel, core and slice apples using Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer. Cut apples in half using Utility Knife. Place apples in Deep Dish Baker.
  2. Combine cake mix, sugar, cinnamon, butter and nuts in Classic Batter Bowl. Mix until crumbly using Classic Scraper. Sprinkle mixture evenly over apples.
  3. Bake 35-40 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped topping, if desired.
Yield: 10 servings
Nutrients per serving: Calories 240, Total Fat 12 g, Saturated Fat 3.5 g, Cholesterol 15 mg, Carbohydrate 33 g, Protein 2 g, Sodium 210 mg, Fiber 2 g


Do you have questions about Pampered Chef products?  Need to order something?  Feel free to email me!  My brother is a consultant or you can visit here and find a consultant near you!  You can also look for more free recipes at www.pamperedchef.com and click on the recipe tab!

No comments:

Post a Comment