Friday, April 13, 2012

Food For Thought Friday

So I'm really trying to work on posting more regularly and I just need to come up with more ideas...
After reading another bloggers ideas for posting I am going to try my hat at posting one new recipe a week.  I do plan on hitting up my relatives for some of their favorites...  HINT, HINT if you are reading this and are related to me!!!
My very first recipe to post is one of my favorites!
First of all, I used a variation of this recipe to make some refried beans...  You see, I have a ton of beans right now and I decided to finally use some.  I only altered the recipe just a little.  I didn't add the jalapeno, mostly because I just don't like spicy food.  I also only added half the salt.  Next time I don't think I would add any.  I had so much beans left over I ended up freezing some for later.  Hint for the freezing:  I put the beans in a container and added some of the extra liquid on top, it defrosted in the microwave wonderfully!
So, now onto my real recipe to share...
My mom has been making this since I was a little kid.  We don't really have a "name" for it, we just call it Chicken Tortilla Casserole.  I even looked it up once and found a variation of what my mom used to make so I came up with my own variation.  I like doing that...
I have to admit, I'm sorry that I don't do better measurements, so what I'm giving you is as close as I can to what I make...
I usually cook mine is a 9x13" Pampered Chef stoneware, but I'm sure glass will work!
1 small package of corn tortillas
2 cans of refried beans (or if you use the recipe I used, it looked like about 3-4 cups)
Shredded, cooked chicken (I use 2-3 boneless skinless breasts.  My mom cooks hers in the oven, I cook mine in the slow cooker with a little water and some seasonings)
1 can green chili's
1 can black olives (sliced or diced)
Shredded cheese, I've used Mexican blend or cheddar
1-2 cans cream of "something" soup (the last time I made this I was going to make my own cream of vegetable soup but I ran out of time, maybe next time!)
Cooking temperatures vary, I've cooked it on 350 degrees for about an hour.  Since the chicken is cooked your're really just looking to get the whole thing nice and hot and melty-cheesy!
Start by layering the corn tortillas on the bottom of the casserole dish.  I usually break the tortillas in half.  Put down a layer of beans, about half of what you have.  Next a layer of the cooked chicken, again half of what you have.  Same with the green chili's and olives (you can save a little bit of olives for topping) then a layer of cheesy goodness!
Repeat the layers as above.
To finish, add a final layer of tortilla's.  This is where mom and I differ in our preparation.  Mom adds the juices from her cooked chicken on top of the layer of tortillas.  I take one can of soup and add a can-full of the "stock" I made in the slow cooker, mix it well and pour on top of the tortilla layer.  I finish off with more shredded cheese and the rest of the olives and throw that bad-girl in the oven.
I don't know the calorie content or specific serving sizes.  To be honest, whether there are four of us (which is normal) or a dozen of us (like on Easter) there are rarely ever any left-overs.
I'd love to have included a photo, mostly because the last one I made was very good looking, but not only are there never left-overs, it gets eaten up pretty quickly just out of the oven!

Do you have a favorite recipe?  Want to pass it "down"?  Send me an email at stuffnjunk(at)ymail(dot)com and maybe I will either do a feature post or I will set up a linky blog hop!
I'm thinking of emailing my Aunt Ann to ask for her slow-cooker beef stroganoff recipe, maybe I'll get a chance to take a picture before my family devours it!
Happy cooking!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment