Friday, June 8, 2012

Food For Thought Friday, Graduations

I had a great recipe to post last week!  And then I think I skipped over Friday completely...  So, here it is:


Yes, I am getting that lazy that I know post photos of the recipes instead of typing them out!  Actually, it's not my recipe at all...  My brother and sister-in-law had a BBQ on his surprise trip home Memorial Day weekend and this was a yummy dish that was served.  Now, let me tell you, I am not really into bean salads and I am a total wimp when it comes to anything spicy!  I was asked very nicely to "just try it" and I am so glad I did!  It was super yummy, much lighter than a heavy starchy side dish and just enough heat to give it good flavor but not take away from all the other yummy goodness!!!

Now on to more of my lameness...  So I missed out on posting Wordless Wednesday this week.  I suppose I could have posted old pictures of the girls or my recently cleaned (again) sewing room.  I think I might have even snapped a shot or two of a project I started on the weekend for my nephew...  But I kept thinking "I have a Graduation and a Birthday dinner to attend Tuesday, I will get plenty of pictures!"  Except, I forgot to bring my camera...  I would like to blame it on the head cold/sinusy stuff/illness that has been floating around my house lately.  I started to get a sore throat Monday night but toughed it out, even though we are also back to night-nursing Baby Sister...  I wanted to be up at 5 Tuesday morning, the graduation was about an hour-and-a-half away and at 10 am, but I did end up out of bed by 5:30 to feed Baby Sister and then get myself together.  Mom and I were out of the house just before 6:30!  Of course, we had wanted to be on the road by 6 but I think we did alright for not feeling well!  Caught up in a little bit of traffic but made it to my uncles house in time to ride with the family to the graduation.

This is the last of my cousins to graduate from High School.  Yes, I did just do a mental check to make sure it's from both sides of my family and yes, the last...  I was the first...  Anywho!  He also was graduating from a private school, that was a first for me!  The school is lovely!  One of my aunts and I had a fun time discussing shoes and clothing and talking about which mother's were trying too hard to "fit in" with their graduates and those that were dressed more appropriately for the event.

I'm not sure when the "tradition" of adding your college logo to your mortar board cap came to be but I must tell you that I don't think I saw a single blank cap.  And we aren't talking about community colleges here...  Duke, Columbia, Stanford, NYU, Vassar, Cal Poly (*wink*) these kids are going places!  From talks of generational gaps to wild rumpuses, the speeches were similar to those I've heard before but my mind (and my eyes) were so very full of all those college bound kids and the places they are in fact bound for!

I could go on to tell you that I had many thoughts about wishing I could afford private school for my own kids but I still have a couple years to ponder how we will find the best fit for their education.  I do wish, however, that no matter where these grads go, and I do mean ALL 2012 grads, that they know their horizons are limitless!

And speaking of limitless horizons!!!  After the long morning graduation festivities, we hurried back to our side of the bay (that always makes me laugh!  East Bay is never going to actually be the Bay Area to me) we made it home with enough time to freshen up and head over to join my sister-in-law and some of her relatives for my nephew's birthday dinner!  Again, forgetting the camera...  I am either going to have to steal photos from Facebook or send emails begging for copies!!!

Bry-Bear turned seven.  SEVEN!?!?  I'd like to say it feels  like only yesterday I went to see him in the hospital, the largest baby in the NICU!  But I am blessed to be able to say that these last seven years, although they have sailed past, have not gone by so quickly as to not have amazing moments with that fantastic boy!  Even having two kids of my own, and I think they are pretty cute, my nephew has got to be the most beautiful baby I have ever seen.  I know, that's kind of mean to my own kids, but I just can't lie.  He was stunning from the moment he was born.  Perfect.  And I am so glad I have gotten to be in his life as much as I have been.

So, even though I am lacking pictures of more recent events, in honor of my perfect nephew (evil grin)...

Telling him that he will always be my buddy and that I will keep him in my pocket!  Also representing my Grandfather, I'm wearing my Boston World Series Champs shirt!

I've got a thing about hands...  This is a picture of my hand and my brother holding his son's hand.

My little brother holding his perfect son!

No comments:

Post a Comment