Thursday, March 28, 2013

Easter 2013 Sewing!

Once upon a time, many years ago, I thought I would be the kind of mom that would make TONS of clothes for my kids, especially if I had a little girl!  Then reality kicks in, I ended up having two girls and very little time for sewing.  Alright, so that's not completely true.  Truth is I make very little time for sewing...  Yes, for my older daughter I have been able to make a few things, but some of the play-clothes, the costumes, I have never finished!  So I sat back and made a decision, I don't have to make tons of clothes for the kids but I do want to make special clothes for them!  I told my husband that from now on I at least want to make special outfits for Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas, if I can squeeze in some extra projects-all the better!  Then I started to panic because I made this decision three weeks before Easter and we just went on a trip to Arizona and had a trip planned to visit family in Northern California and between bills, the cost of the trips, and limited time I wasn't really sure I would be able to pull it off.  I dug through my patterns and fabric that I have been storing up.  I have been trying to find uses for my fabric stash for years!  Downside to working for a fabric store is buying up bolts of fabric thinking someday you will use them!  I had some pretty cute fabrics, and some adorable patterns, but I was trying to be realistic about time and materials so I picked this pattern from my collection:
I didn't have any cute pillowcases, but this pattern gives directions on how to make the outfits out of fabric-by-the-yard.  I happened to have a yard of some pretty pastel boarder print and half a yard of a coordinating plaid.  I checked the measurements and decided to make my older girl a top with shorts and my younger girl the dress.  I was a bad girl and I did not match up my plaids.  I was a little worried I would run out of fabric, and I needed enough left over to also make some bias binding.  I got up on a Saturday morning, got myself and the kids fed, then told my husband I would be sewing the rest of the day.  I was able to cut out all the pieces I needed, including the extra square for binding!  I always refer back to this tutorial for binding, it's the best one I've found so far!  I did alter the pattern just a little because after making my super cute binding I realized the directions want you to hide it by rolling it back and sewing it down!  I got the shorts completely done and the dress for my younger daughter only needs the ribbon ties.  The top for my older girl also needs ribbon for the straps and I have to do something to hem it.  Can't wait to take some pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment