Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Operation: Easter Dresses...

You know, I have been sewing for a VERY.  LONG.  TIME...  And I have a horrible addiction to fabric and patterns!  Even before I had my own two girls, I was buying fabric and patterns on the off chance that I had a girl of my own or nieces.  Then the real world interferes and I have to earn that paycheck that helps to keep food on the table and a roof over our heads and clothes on our backs.  But oh, wouldn't I love to be able to SEW those clothes!  I always believed I would sew for my kids, especially if I had girls.  I'll be honest though, it is really hard just to keep up with the day-to-day!  I'm lucky, most days I get to work from home, and my kids get to be with me whether I'm at my office or at home.  I have been able to take care of them when they are sick and not miss out on work.  I am able to play with them in between my other tasks.  I just can't make it to the sewing room as often as I need to in order to get the big projects done.
This year I made a list of the things I really wanted to do.  So far I have done none of them.  In January I wanted to whip up some felt "paper" dolls for the girl's Valentine's Day surprise, you know, instead of candy.  I got one done, on Valentine's Day!  For St. Patrick's Day I thought I might make them some embroidered shirts, since I have that fabulously fun machine.  Nope, I don't even think I dressed them in green that day!  Then I got busy with some other sewing projects, a paid project even, and I didn't end up making anything for Samie's 4th birthday like I wanted.
I vowed to make the Easter dresses.  I bought the fabric too many years ago to remember.  I lucked into purchasing the pattern and just enough fabric for two dresses in the sizes I need.  Now, here we are, five days from Easter and I hadn't even started yet!  But I am a machine when it comes to being under-the-gun, so we are going to give it a try!
First step, I have to trace the patterns...  I have one pattern and need to make two dresses in two different sizes!  I have been watching some sewing shows and learning a bit, even took a Craftsy sewing class, so I knew I wanted to transfer the pattern from the store-bought tissue type to something more stable.  I got this from Joann Fabrics.  So, that is pretty much where I am right now...  I have about half of the pattern traced and labeled, which took about half an hour.  By tomorrow I am hoping to have my pattern pieces all traced and cut and my fabric washed, dried and pressed.  The goal is to have all of my fabric ready for sewing by Friday.  I have a lot to get done, especially since we offered to have Easter dinner at our house and we still have a lot of housework to do to be ready!  And of course I don't really have dress shoes for the girls, and I hate buying them at this time of year because they won't wear them again, so I did find a pattern I am dying to purchase to make matching fabric sandals!
Wish me luck!!!