Sunday, July 10, 2016

Trying to write a blog with two kids in the house

So, apparently I wrote down this title on 6/4/16, and here is it 7/10/16 (cause yeah, I'm writing this at midnight) and this is actually the first sentence...  That should tell you quite clearly what it's like trying to write a blog with two kids in the house!

Well, it's summer here.  We are still doing workbooks with the kids (off and on) to get through the summer hours.  It's busy for me because my "day job" is office manager (cool title right?) for my dad's HVAC company, and in California, we get some nice hot summers!  Needless to say, between my day job, my family, trying to build my sewing business, there's not a lot of time left in my day for blogging.  I have realized in the last few weeks though, that not only do I miss blogging, I need it.

I don't have a lot of interaction with people at work.  I mean, I talk to a lot of people on the phone, but mostly it's me and the kids; my dad and my step mom, but it's not really "social".  When I'm not working, I'm still working, so trying to get me out into the world becomes difficult for various reasons.  So I have taken to the computer when I can.  Don't get me wrong, most of the time I am trolling Facebook in my machine embroidery groups, or if I need a break from things I find some random movie on t.v., but for the most part, it's a lot of working and I still need somewhere to go to just get it all out...  Sorry, hahahaha.

I did plan ahead this year and put in my purchase order for Samie's school books on the very first day.  Hoping we get those before school "starts" but it sounds like when we order with the Charter school that things tend to get delayed, so that is unfortunate because I can't really create a lesson plan without the books...  Next year I will do it differently.

So, what are we doing?  Well, we will be trying Excellence In Writing this year.  My dear cousin, Sarah, has been recommending it for years.  Have you checked out her blog, Amongst Lovely Things?  She has such a beautiful way of writing, it would make you jealous of how amazing she is if she wasn't telling you all the time how amazing she's not...  Don't let her kid you though, she's pretty darn amazing.

We will be using Math In Focus, and for this year we will be using borrowed books from the Charter school for Science and Social Studies.  If you know of some good, secular lessons for any of these please feel free to comment below.  I really didn't like MyWorld Social Studies.  I guess because of the way we purchased it (via rainbowresource.com) that we didn't end up with access to all of the online features, but I don't think that would have helped, it just wasn't a great fit for us.  I'm not sure if I will try something different for Evie this year or just use the curriculum because we already have it.  Maybe I will like it better the second time around?  I am also planning to add in lessons from Confessions of a Homeschooler for both Social Studies/Geography and Liturature.  I really love her blog as well and her printables are fabulous!

We do have curriculum for music, art, Latin and etiquette.  Yes, that might be an odd mix of lessons, but I figure I'm an odd bird, so it works!

I also realized recently that I haven't read anything in a long time, so I'm going to be working on that as well.  I mean, it's not like I'm busy, right?  I'm not going to go crazy like I normally do, but on days that I can get up early enough before the kids and just have some quiet-brain moments, well those are much better days.

So yeah, busy summer at work, busy sewing up all kinds of goodies for Stuff N Junk, busy playing with my kids and my planner and this new paper crafting memory keeper kind of thing that I will post about soon, but you know, just keeping busy!


No comments:

Post a Comment